Welcome!

This blog is a platform for a journal and the display of personal projects.

2014 Slideshow

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Work

Work
2/9/2009 5:30:13 PM
I don't usually use this space to talk about work, but it's becoming such a dominant and disturbing part of my life that it needs to be recorded.

I'd always feared that sometime during my working life that the country might face either a major emergency or financial disaster - and it increasingly looks like the latter is coming to pass. As the economy continues to slide everyone is terrified of losing their jobs - especially when there is no other work out there.

LLS is on the brink of a major layoff and what I've avoided and dreaded all my life is at my door; having to cut someone fron their livelihood. It's eating me up and I wish there was something I could do about it.

There is also the personal fear that I may be next and/or the whole advocacy department may be next. There is so little support for what we do in White Plains and I've had little hints that have picqued my paranoia. Not getting an updated computer, not hearing from a prospective employer, Board members who seem to be a bit opaque and just small clues from the CEO - all make me nervous.

It has forced to start thinking about alternatives. I have been holding out hope that I would hear from another VHA who I've talked to; but have to face the fact that it might not happen. If I'm faced with being canned, what would I do? I have bills and four kids to take care of. I'd have to hit the bricks hard with all the contacts I have - maybe even go into the government or back to the Hill; which would mean a pay cut. I've also toyed with the idea of developing a consulting business tailored to small non-profits, which would likely have to be built while I pursued conventional jobs.

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid. But these are extraordinary times and caution with some extra preparation can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment