Welcome!

This blog is a platform for a journal and the display of personal projects.

2014 Slideshow

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Event Catch-Up - Again

Event Catch-Up
5/1/2009 6:07:23 PM
The Taco Bell Saga It has now come to a conclusion, but I turned out to be a community ringleader to in a losing campaign opposing the building of a Taco Bell franchise on the other side of some woods behind our house. The whole neighborhood was against it and was galvanized by an online petition that I posted - which eventually got some 160 signatures. At public hearings, we had great turnout and I was very proud of all my neighbors. I think it actually brought everyone together. I got up several times to speak and got warm compliments from the community. Probably most satisfying was that I was published with letters to the editor or guest columns several times. During the course of the 'campaign' I also set up a web site, distributed flyers door-to-door and posting signs around town - to the point when the local conservative paper started calling me the leader of the opposition. Very flattering - though I hope I didn't offend any of my neighbors. The result, however, was never really in doubt. The developer was very good at working the system. But while they may have won the battle, they may lose the war. This neighborhood is geared up and motivated for the next election of the Town Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment