Welcome!

This blog is a platform for a journal and the display of personal projects.

2014 Slideshow

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Problems, Problems!

Problems, Problems!!
1/19/2009 11:37:07 AM
Just when we think we have things together, all hell breaks loose. Across the board, kids, family members, the neighborhood, and work; problems all around!

There's my aunt, being faced with threats of foreclosure from a bank on a home equity line under her late mother-in-law's name - Evelyn Ruther. This just comes on top of the fact that she doesn't own any equity in her house. My late uncle squandered that in a loan from another relative - who now owns it. She has problems with the IRS - who she owes $75K the last I heard. (though I don't know if they are chasing her down). She lost her only paying gig of $1000/month and is now living on some $1600/month of Social Security. BUT, she'll owe over $8000/year in taxes. She should have been out of that house years ago, but she lives in an alcoholic haze and is incapable of taking charge of her life. Between my brother Jack and me, our great fear is that she will end up out on the street and we'll need to take her in -- which will probably happen eventually.

While not quite as critical, there's also Martha's uncle -- DaDa. At 80 years old, he's lost his job and doesn't have much to live on. Martha's sister is pushing for all three kids to put up money to help support him. That would be an imposition on us.....and we're seriously put off by Dave's reluctance to do anything on his own behalf -- like take a part-time or temping position. (The same thing could be said of my aunt -- though it would be more difficult for her to hold a job because of her drinking.)

Then there's work. Because of the rotten economy LLS is making drastic cutbacks. In an effort to do my part as department head, I've proposed closing down my office on Capitol Hill, working occassionally out of a small office in Alexandria. This would at least forestall firing staff, which I'm loathe to do. I've never had to and I'd dread having to start. I'll also have to cut back on state consulting contracts and on our state campaigns. But at least we'll keep our jobs for now. Of course, this may all prove to be academic if I end up taking another job, which is increasingly looking like a possibility. I'm especially more inclined lately given the flavor of the LLS culture. But more on that later.

Then there's the neighborhood. The Town of Purcellville is considering a request to place a Taco Bell restaraunt behind our house. Many of our neighbors are up in arms. It's not so much the restaurant -- which would have a drive-thru -- that is so offensive; but more the property owner, who has inordinate influence on the Town leaders, and patronizes us. (Frankly, he's just a West Virginia hick with no taste who got some money and now runs roughshod over anyone in his way). This is not a passive concern on our part. It's an active effort. I started an on-line petition, wrote a letter to the editor of a local paper and testified at the Planning Commission hearing on the matter -- along with dozens of my neighbors. And the battle continues. I'm convinced the whole thing is greased, but we're continuing to strategize and mobilize.

So the anxiety comes from all sides!!

No comments:

Post a Comment