Welcome!

This blog is a platform for a journal and the display of personal projects.

2014 Slideshow

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Neighborhood Picnic - Version 2010

Neighborhood Picnic - Version 2010
9/13/2010 10:48:33 PM
Just returned from the now-annual trek to Chicago to participate in the "neighborhood picnic" or "Dam Jam" as it's increasingly called. It's hard to believe we've now done this for five years. The first event in 2006 of a group of old friends getting together to play music at a picnic in a Chicago forest preserve was only envisioned as a one-time event celebrating some of us turning 50. It's now has a kind of perpetual motion of its own. The expectations are that we'll continue and, in fact, brooding about improvements to the process continue to dominate the conversations; from more elaborate sound systems to recording arrangements and video compositions. This event is a huge amount of work for all of us. For me it involves loads of rehearsing, a 1500 mile drive, packing, unloading, reloading, video-taping, photographing, practicing, more loading and unloading. And then there's the actual playing. Martha frequently asks me - incredulously - with all the anxiety, work, pressure, nerves and angst, is it really worth it?? "I mean, are you actually having fun?" To be sure, I didn't suffer quite the anxiety and confidence melt-down I have in past years. Part of that was preparation and part of it was a greater appreciation of the support by my buddies. While he's a tough task-master, Dan is supportive. And the comradarie includes a health dose tolerance - or even forgiveness. Yes, I screwed up a couple things (that ending to Suzy Q was especially lame) - but most of the others I muddled through passably. So while I came away somewhat frustrated in my performance -- knowing that I'm capable of so much better -- I was encouraged enough to keep at it. My struggle on the drums is psychological. Technically, I've come a long way and will continue to learn. Assertiveness and confidence - and the spontaneity that come with them - is my challenge. Fortunately my friends gave me the opportunity - and patience - to realize that capability. So out of sense of gratitude and loyalty I'll continue to push myself and support this wacky, but wonderful event. At least until my back gives out.

No comments:

Post a Comment